By accessing the Site, you consent, on behalf of yourself and, if you are accessing the Site in the course and scope of your employment, on behalf of your employer, to the collection, use and disclosure of your information in accordance with the terms of this Policy. If you do not wish your information to be collected, used or disclosed in the manner or manners described in this Policy, please do not access or make use of the Site.
1. Types of Information. GBI may collect two types of information by and through the Site.
1.1 Aggregate Information. For purposes of this Policy, information that is anonymous, aggregate information (such as pages visited on the Site, browser type, referring URL, IP address) will be referred to as "Aggregate Information." Aggregate Information is not connected to you or to any other personally-identifiable information relating to you.
1.2 Personal Information. For purposes of this Policy, personally-identifiable information that is connected to you or other personally-identifiable information relating to you, including, but not limited to your name, billing address, payment information, home address, telephone number, e-mail address, birth date, gender or project, will be referred to as "Personal Information."
2. Children under 13. GBI complies with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the FTC's Rule interpreting COPPA (16 CFR § 512). The Site is not directed to children of any age and GBI does not knowingly collect in any manner any Personal Information from children under 13 years of age.
3. Use of Information.
3.1 Aggregate Information. GBI uses Aggregate Information only to generate statistical reports, such as reports about the use of the Site. Such reports are used to make the Site better meet your needs or to allow GBI to better conduct its work though the Site. The reports are not provided to third parties.
3.2 Personal Information. GBI uses Personal Information to fulfill your requests for services or assessments; to customize the content you see; and to contact you. If GBI uses third parties to assist GBI in processing your requests on the Site, GBI will require that the third parties comply with this Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. GBI may also share Personal Information with third parties in limited circumstances, including when complying with legal process, preventing fraud or imminent harm, and ensuring the security of GBI’s network and services.
4. Disclosures of Information.
4.1 Personal Information. GBI does not sell, rent or share personally-identifiable information to or with any third party not affiliated with GBI, except that GBI may disclose such information to service providers who may assist GBI in processing your requests at the Site in such areas as data storage.
4.2 Aggregate Information. Aggregate information may be used by GBI for (a) internal purposes to help GBI improve its users' experience at the Site and to better conduct its work through the Site, (b) presentations of data to third parties, or (c) any other use determined by GBI in its sole discretion, so long as the data remains aggregate and does not identify an individual or user.
4.3 Cookies. GBI may use "cookies" to recognize and count new visitors and to acquire Aggregate Information that lets GBI analyze traffic patterns and tune the performance and functionality of the Site. A cookie is a file that is placed on your hard drive when you visit a web site. It contains specific information that allows the Site to "recognize" your computer the next time you visit. The most important use for cookies is to eliminate the need for you to re-enter your information every time you visit the Site. Most browsers accept cookies by default, but you can turn off cookies using your browser settings. To learn how, see: for Microsoft Internet Explorer users, www.microsoft.com/info/cookies.htm; or for Firefox users, http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_help_firefox_cookie_tutorial.html. If you turn off cookies, certain Site features may no longer work or may work differently. Please note that when you accept a cookie from the Site, GBI does not gain access to your hard drive or personal information other than the information you have provided to us. GBI does not provide cookie information to any third party.
4.4 Disclosure as Required by Law. GBI will disclose Personal Information when required by law or if GBI has a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on GBI.
4.5 Business Transition. In the event GBI goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company or a sale of a portion of GBI’s assets, your Personal Information may be part of the assets transferred. Disclosure of your Personal Information in such a situation, or in contemplation of such a situation, shall be deemed consistent with this Policy. However, such a transfer may result in a change in this Policy, and you are advised and strongly encouraged to review this Policy frequently.
5. Links. The Site contains or may contain links to other web sites. GBI is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of these other web sites. This Policy applies solely to information collected by the Site. GBI encourages you to be aware when you leave the Site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects Personal Information.
6. Security. GBI takes commercially-reasonable precautions to protect your information. However, given the nature of the Internet and the fact that network security measures are not infallible, GBI cannot guarantee the security of Personal Information submitted through the Site. GBI also makes an off-line effort to protect your Personal Information. GBI makes commercially-reasonable efforts to restrict access to Personal Information to employees who need the information to perform a specific job. GBI maintains commercially-reasonable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard Personal Information GBI collects.
7. Contacting, Updating and Opting Out. You may use the contact information provided below to request a change in your Personal Information (such as address correction) or to have your Personal Information removed from GBI’s database. GBI will correct, update, or remove your Personal Information according to your request. You may also use the contact information below if you have any questions, comments or complaints about this Policy or your dealings with the Site.
Green Building Initiative
Attention: User Account Customer Service Representative
5410 SW Macadam, Suite 150
Portland, Oregon 97239
8. Policy Changes. GBI reserves the right to make, at its sole discretion, any changes, modifications, additions or deletions to all or portions of this Policy at any time. GBI recommends that you review this Policy frequently. If GBI makes a material change to this Policy, GBI will notify you by standard mail or e-mail, or by clear notice on GBI’s home page. The changes will not be effective against you until the notice has been provided and you have assented to the change through continued use of the Site.
9. Traveling Beyond the GBI Internet Portal. As a trade-specific portal, this Site provides you with a doorway to the Internet. When you travel beyond this Site, GBI advises you to browse carefully. This Policy does not apply to the practices of companies that GBI does not own or control, or to people that GBI does not employ or manage. GBI recommends that you read the Federal Trade Commission reports and discussions regarding privacy and security located at: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/tech/privacy.shtm.